Belmont College is committed to providing reasonable and effective accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. If you’re a student requesting disability-related accommodation, you should register with the Accessibility Office in the Student Services department. Provide current, appropriate, and objective documentation that clearly substantiates a significant functional impairment, meaning that your ability to perform a major life activity is below average compared to others of your age.
Diagnostic evaluation reports submitted as documentation must:
- Appear on official letterhead and be typed and dated by a qualified, licensed professional credentialed in the area related to the diagnosed condition for which the accommodation is being requested.
- Provide a specific, definite diagnosis, including symptoms and fluctuating conditions related to your disability or condition. When appropriate, include a history of diagnosis including duration, stability, and/or progression of the condition.
- Provide recent objective findings, test, scores, and/or clinical observations used to determine the diagnosis of your disability, functional limitations, and current need for accommodation(s).
- Identify current medications you’re taking, as well as any side effects.
The following is not adequate for determining accommodations:
- A brief note from a physician or health professional that simply requests an accommodation or provides a diagnosis without offering supporting documentation. This includes information or notes written on a prescription pad, as well as aftercare instructions.
- Evaluation reports of a learning difficulty that are not comprehensive or that identify “problems or challenges” but do not specifically diagnose a learning disability.
NOTE: An Individualized Education Plan (IEP), 504 Plan, outdated documentation, and evaluations normed on child scales may not provide sufficient documentation. These documents do, however, serve as an appropriate starting place for discussions about accommodations. A request for additional documentation, as well as further evaluation, may also be discussed to assist in the authorization of accommodations.
Submit documentation that meets standards by either:
- Emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bringing documentation to your initial meeting
- Or, mailing documentation to:
- Belmont College
- ATTN: Accessibility Services
- 68094 Hammond Road
- St. Clairsville, OH 43950