Embracing diversity, fostering inclusion.
Diversity and inclusion statement
At Belmont College, we embrace diversity and recognize our responsibility to foster an open, welcoming environment where students, faculty, and staff of all backgrounds collaboratively learn, work, and serve. We value the academic, social, and broader community benefits that a diverse campus enables, and we’re committed to equity, inclusion, and accountability. We engage in an ongoing dialogue to thoughtfully respond to the changing realities of our increasingly interconnected world. We continually strive to work together to address the challenges of the future in a way that removes barriers to success and promotes a culture of inclusivity, compassion, and mutual respect.
Why are diversity, equity and inclusion and accessibility important to Belmont College?
Our diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility efforts provide a road map to making Belmont College more inclusive and accessible, and more welcoming for minoritized students and underserved student groups.
These initiatives promote diversity in hiring, aim to eliminate cultural bias in teaching and curriculum, and help to counteract systemic racism through institutional transformations.
They aid in leveling the playing field and expanding opportunity, helping more students reach their end goals.
How will diversity, equity and inclusion and accessibility efforts help students?
- We measure progress on our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion journey by three core outcomes: cultural diversity, promoting equity, and fostering inclusion.
- Cultural diversity: Commitment to culture and policies that support people in all the ways their lives differ.
- Promoting equity: Removing advantages and barriers to provide everyone the same access to opportunities.
- Fostering inclusion: Students and employees feel supported and valued and can be their authentic selves.
Belmont College Equity Committee Members
- Bridgette Dawson, Assistant Vice President of Student Affairs
- Suzanne Clutter, Professor of Biology and Laboratory Sciences
- Danielle Moore, Director of Financial Aid
Equity Committee Meetings and Agendas
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility Glossary of Terms