Reasonable accommodation request procedure

Accessibility Services is here to make sure that students with disabilities receive reasonable accommodations (academic adjustments, auxiliary aids, and services) in accordance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act as amended. Accessibility Services is located in the Student Services Suite in the Academic Technical Center (ATC).


Contact Katie Stoller, Academic Advisor/Accessibility Coordinatorto request reasonable accommodations at: 

Students are encouraged to register with the Accessibility Office and request accommodations at the beginning of an academic program and submit Reasonable Accommodation Request Forms prior to or early in the academic term. Note that the College is not required to provide retroactive accommodations.

The 5-step process

1. Register with Accessibility Services in the ATC

Complete the online form or register in person.

Students requesting reasonable accommodations must self-identify by registering and provide appropriate documentation of a disability.

Submit documentation that meets documentation standards by either:

  • Emailing to
  • Bringing to your initial meeting
  • or mailing to:
    • Belmont College
      ATTN: Accessibility Services
      68094 Hammond Road
      St. Clairsville, OH 43950

While an individualized education program (IEP) or Section 504 plan may help identify services that have been effective, they generally aren’t sufficient documentation due to the differences between postsecondary education and high school education. The demands of postsecondary education may be different from those experienced in high school. Also, in some cases, the nature of a disability may change.

After receiving the Student Application and appropriate documentation, the Academic/ Access Advisor will review the information, request any additional documentation, and and notify the student in writing.

After registering with AS, students don’t need to submit documentation of a disability unless requesting an accommodation not supported by prior documentation.

2. Meet with the Academic/ Access Advisor

If the student is eligible for services, the advisor will schedule an initial meeting to discuss Accessibility Services policies and procedures, as well as possible accommodations and available resources. Students should bring a copy of their schedule.

Following the meeting, Accessibility Services will prepare a letter outlining the approved accommodations for the student to give to each faculty member on their schedule. Accommodation letters are based on the student’s documentation, completed Student Application, and an interactive process with the student, and are emailed to the student’s official Belmont College account.

3. Implement accommodations

Before accommodations can be provided in any course, students must meet with each faculty member to discuss the letter and their accommodation needs. Students must sign and obtain the signature of each faculty member on the “Accommodation Agreement Form,” then return the form to AS.

If adjustments to testing procedures is an approved accommodation, students must follow all Exam/Adjustment/Test Scheduling procedures.

Faculty members are responsible for providing and implementing only the accommodations approved by AS, as set forth in each accommodation letter.

Faculty members aren’t required to provide accommodations to any student who doesn’t have an accommodation letter. A student who requests an accommodation but does not have an accommodation letter will be referred to AS.

Faculty members are not required to lower course expectations or fundamentally alter the nature of the course at the request of a student with a disability. If a student makes such a request related to an approved accommodation set forth in an accommodation letter, the faculty member will contact the student’s department/program. Faculty members with accommodation implementation questions, problems establishing an accommodation, or who need advice on where to start should contact AS. Accessibility Services can help with implementation of accommodations, but the faculty member is primary responsible for providing academic accommodations to students.

4. Requesting accommodations after registering with Accessibility Services

Students are required to respond to the “Request for Accommodation” email and follow Step 3 before the start of each academic term for which they wish to receive accommodations.

5. ADA grievance procedure

Any student who feels their accommodation requests are not being fulfilled properly should notify Accessibility Services.