Talented local students showcase their science fair projects at the District 16 Science Fair held at Belmont College.
St. Clairsville, OH (April 26, 2023) – For nearly 30 years, students from local schools have displayed hundreds of science projects at Belmont College. The halls were recently filled once again with scientific inquiry.
38 students from three local schools competed in the 2023 District 16 Science Fair at Belmont College’s Main Campus in St. Clairsville on Saturday, March 18th. This year, there were eight teams of judges, and this was the first in-person Science Fair held on campus since 2019, as they had been held virtually for the past three years.
Students from the following schools participated: Bishop John King Mussio Jr. High; East Richland Christian; and St. Mary Central Martins Ferry.
The District Science Fair is for students who have participated in and achieved superior scores in their school fairs or have been selected by their teachers as having exceptional projects. These projects are judged again by more rigorous standards, and the top projects among all displayed are recognized and rewarded with superior ratings and special awards sponsored by a variety of donors. The very top students are then selected to represent District 16 at the state-level competition at The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. The 2023 State Science Day is a virtual event beginning on April 3rd with results announced April 17th.
The following students received superiors this year, and as such are eligible to represent District 16 at State Science Day:
- Bishop John King Mussio Central JS – Steubenville: Javier Descalzo; Lauren Hall; Sophia Leonard; Kamryn Roe; Delia Wetherell.
- East Richland Christian School – St. Clairsville: Brooklyn Anderson; Halle Baum; Josiah Close; Olivia Dean; Charles Gooch; Luke Kiene; Abram Miller; Berea Miller; Hayden Weaver.
- St. Mary Central – Martins Ferry: Aidan Giffin; Landon Honecker; Teagan Munas; Graham Stecker; Wyatt Stephens.
Chosen as the top project was that of Berea Miller, a 6th grade student from East Richland Christian. Her project titled “The Comparison of the Effectiveness of Different Types of Mulch” received the Belmont College President’s Award.
Chosen for the Runner-up Award was Charles Gooch, a 6th grade student from East Richland Christian, for his project titled “Comparison of Time Needed for Sutures to Dissolve.” This is the Excellence in Science Award, sponsored by the District 16 Science Fair Committee.
Other special recognitions and cash awards were also given as follows:
- The following students received recognitions from the Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh:
- Halle Baum, East Richland Christian
- Abram Miller, East Richland Christian
- Delia Wetherell, Bishop John King Mussio Central Junior High
- The following students received the M.J. Piccin Memorial Award from Belmont College, sponsored by Mrs. Margaret Piccin:
- Award in Engineering: Graham Stecker, Mary Central Martins Ferry
- Award in Physics: Teagan Munas, Mary Central Martins Ferry
- The following students received the Phillip Skinner Memorial Award:
- Graham Stecker, St. Mary Central Martins Ferry
- Olivia Dean, East Richland Christian School
- The following students received recognitions from Belmont College:
- Award in Material Sciences: Brooklyn Anderson, East Richland Christian School and Javier Descalzo, Bishop John King Mussio Central Junior High
- Award in Behavioral Sciences: Lauran Hall, Bishop John King Mussio Central Junior High
- Award in Animal Sciences: Aidan Giffin, Mary Central Martins Ferry; Luke Kiene, East Richland Christian School; and Kamryn Roe, Bishop John King Mussio Central Junior High
- The following students received the District 16 Creativity and Skill in Design Award, sponsored by Ms. Emma Connors:
- Shaya Garcia, Bishop John King Mussio Central Junior High
- Charles Gooch, East Richland Christian School
Additionally, Aidan Giffin from St. Mary Central Martins Ferry received Linda and David Dunlap Continuing Project Award.
The following students received the Fifth and Sixth Grade Awards for Excellence: Brooklyn Anderson; Josiah Close; Landon Honecker; Sophia Leonard; and Hayden Weaver.
Special thanks to: Dr. Paul F. Gasparro, Belmont College President; Society for Analytical Chemists of Pittsburgh; Mrs. Margaret M. Piccin; Linda and David Dunlap; Mr. Juan Dunlap; Ms. Emma Conners; Southeast Ohio Water Environment Association; Ohio Soybean Council Foundation; Ohio Tuition Trust Authority; District 16 Science Fair Council; Judges and Tally room assistants: Dr. Suzanne Clutter; Ms. Emma Conners; Mrs. Keeley Corrick; Mrs. Tiffany Dobson; Mr. Spencer Echemann; Mr. Ben Fulton; Mrs. Rita Fulton; Mrs. Theresa Garrett; Mr. Philip Handte; Ms. Sarah Lendon; Mrs. Megan Marshall; Mrs. Sandy Morelli; Mr. Ed Mower; Mr. Matt Mower; Mrs. Jane Powell; Mr. Paul Stecker; Mrs. Kari Yockey; and Ms. Kaylynn Yockey.
# # # #